Monday, August 24, 2009

Annie's Irish Soda Buns

This recipe was given to me by my roomie at UMaine. I tried her mother's soda buns in honor of St. Patrick's day. These buns are delicious hot or cold though I prefer them warmed with hot chocolate or irish coffee.

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 sugar (optional)
1 egg
3 Tbsp butter or margarine
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup currants or raisins

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut pieces of the butter/margarine into the dry mix. Don't worry if it doesn't mix completely. Add wet ingredients. Stir in currants/raisins. Knead the dough briefly (I just mixed it with a spoon and that worked too). Cut the dough into eighths. Shape into buns. Use a butter knife to make a cross on the tops of the buns. Bake 20-25min. I set my oven to 350 F.

No comments:

Post a Comment